It is important to know the specifications of any firearm you possess or wish to acquire. These specifications determine the type of licence required.
The firearm category chart can help you understand what licence you will need to possess and for what activities you can use it.
It is important for you to check the eligibility requirements prior to applying for a licence.
For more information about booking a firearm safety courses: CLICK HERE
Genuine reasons for holding a firearm
When you submit your application, you will need to tell Licensing and Regulation Division (LRD) why you want to be able to use a firearm and will need to provide appropriate and sufficient evidence to support your request.
Your genuine need will need to be supported by the provisions under the Firearms Act 1996.
Each type of licence category has different evidence requirements. You should familiarise yourself with the evidence requirements relevant to the licence category you are seeking to be licenced for.
For more information about evidence requirements please CLICK HERE
Follow the below steps to submit a new
firearm licence application:
- Access the eServices Portal and fill out your application.
- Once you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation email outlining your application details. You will be asked to submit a number of identification documents with your application.
- In addition to your online application, we also require you to print out your application and any identification documents and send these by post to the Licensing and Regulation Division.
- Upon receipt of your application, the Licensing and Regulation Division will process your application and if approved, will provide you with a payment notice via the mail.
- Once you receive this payment notice, you will be asked to pay the fee for your licence by BPAY,cash or cheque at a Westpac Bank by the nominated date on your payment notice.
- Following the payment, you will need to get a photograph taken at an approved VicRoads photo point.
- Note: If you cannot attend an approved VicRoads photo point, you must complete and return this form to the Licensing and Regulation Division.
- When we receive your application, there is a legislated waiting period of 28 days for all new licence applications.
If you have any other questions, feel free to give us a call on 03 8354 7655 or you can contact us here.
Our numbers are limited per class due to the COVID-19 Restrictions, so book in today.